Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Heavy Vanity Adventure

First off, my wife is awesome! I call her my "ride or die chick".  Whatever I get myself into, she's always right there with me.  This time it was moving a vanity we purchased all the way from Sequim to Snohomish and then figuring out how to get it up our weird split stairs. This thing is a beast and weighs 250lbs!

We rented a Uhaul with a loading ramp to transport the vanity.  Getting it in the truck was relatively easy with carpet dollies and the ramp.  The ride home was smooth sailing too.

Getting it up the stairs was the adventure.  I rented an appliance dolly to use. Once we got it off the truck we decided to tip it on it's end and get it on the dolly.  That part was pretty easy, so I got confident and figured "we can get this in the house." We made it into the house after tackling a few outside stairs on our walkway.

Once inside, breathing a bit heavily but with more confidence, we both thought we could make it up stairs to the second floor.  Our stairs go up half way to a landing that then turns 180 degrees to go up the rest of the way. This means we have to have a tall item on it's end and shimmy it "around the corner" to make it up the next flight.  Often there's not quite enough room to make a complete turn.  There's also a large mirror on the wall facing you.  For once in my life, I was smart enough to take down the mirror.  Thank God I did.  

With me at the top pulling, and Keri below pushing, we huffed the 250lb vanity up the first flight.  When we got to the top stair, there wasn't enough room for me to pull it up without getting smooshed between the vanity and the wall.  I made myself skinny enough to get it done, but not without a lot of fear that I was going to lose my grip and crush Keri underneath the vanity at the bottom of the stairs.  Thankfully that didn't happen.

The next challenge was to spin it around the corner to get the dolly against the next flight of stairs to lug it up. One small problem - it was too wide to make the turn.  We had to tip the vanity and lift the dolly at the same time in order to get one wheel of the dolly on the first stair.  This made it unstable when we tried to muscle both wheels up onto that first stair and BAM it smacked against the wall. Right where the mirror would have been!

One it was on that first stair, the rest was muscling up the last flight.  We managed and got it up there all by ourselves - "as usual."  I'm always so proud of my wife when she steps up and helps out like this.  She can do more work than most men I know.  Sure, there's limitations - we all have them.  But Keri is like my Mum and sisters.  They are all strong women who step up and just get the job done :)




No comments: