Thursday, September 4, 2008

New Toy



Yes, I'm spoiled rotten. I'm getting a new toy this weekend. I have such an understanding wife who puts up with all my juvenile whims! I love you Care Bear! Hey, I work hard - I deserve it.... at least that's what I tell myself :) I've had my 'project' YZ490s for quite a while now (4+ years?) and only ridden the completed one a handful of times. They're actually quite tortuous to ride. I was all excited to go on a ride with Monty in Sequim a few weeks ago only to be thoroughly disappointed. The YZ had a flat tire. No big deal really but it was the last straw. I was so sick of working on them and not being able to ride them. Not to mention the starting ritual that in itself should be its own Olympic event. I said right then and there "I'm selling both of these things and getting something newer." So here I am. I sold the completed YZ a few weeks ago. I'm having a difficult time selling the other one but I just have to be patient and wait for the right bike to come along. Patience hasn't ever really been one of my strong suits unless I am fishing. Being the obsessive person I am I couldn't stop scouring the web researching bikes and looking for bikes for sale. One of the top priorities was that it had to be street legal. From my research I had a really difficult time deciding between a Suzuki DRZ400s or the Honda XR650s. Both Honda and Suzuki have street legal versions of their 4-stroke "thumper" off road bikes. Trouble is, the street versions of both are sub-standard offroad bikes. I couldn't bring myself to spend more money on a lesser bike. The DOL and the WSP have a standing policy at this time that they will not allow an 'offroad' bike to be plated. It's legal in our state but the WSP are being problem children and not performing the inspections. Long story. So I found a street legal XR650R (that is grandfathered in) right around the corner and went and looked at it last night. Its the badass offroad bike and not the weanie street version. I'm gonna pick it up this Saturday. Wooo hooo!!! Monty, get ready to show me around the trails!

No comments: